By 2026, cloud computing is expected to be a 1029.5 billion industry. Even though the use of cloud-based technology has permeated into every aspect of our daily life especially the business market, there are still questions regarding what cloud computing and cloud computing documentation entails. Here are some of the basic frequently asked questions about cloud computing.
What is Cloud Computing?
According to the Oxford dictionary, cloud computing is “a network of remote servers hosted on the internet to store, manage, and process data.” With its on-demand structure, cloud computing can provide services that may include but are not limited to databases, storage, software, analytics, applications, and other IT needs. The innovations of cloud computing allow all users access to data any time and anywhere.
What is the difference between traditional IT & cloud computing?
A traditional IT model consists of physical hardware for a computer system or network to function. Businesses that operate with a traditional infrastructure will own and have full access to a physical server located on the premises of their organization. All of the organization’s data is managed and maintained onsite by their IT department. Whereas in cloud computing, the servers are located off site or in a remote area but are still maintained and accessed on demand by multiple users via the internet. The difference between traditional IT and cloud computing is how data is processed and how much of it is stored.
What are the benefits of Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing allows businesses to instantaneously access their data and any related resources, services, and applications from any location. Therefore, physical hardware is no longer required. Instead, the cost of managing and maintaining an IT system is greatly reduced because businesses can respond accordingly to any changes in business operation and purchase software that fits their needs. The pay-as-you-go option can save businesses time and money. Cloud computing also provides large storage capacity, automatic updates, as well as data recovery capabilities to ensure data is safe and secure in the event of an emergency.
What are the disadvantages of Cloud Computing?
Training personnel and security are disadvantages of cloud computing. A business that starts to adopt cloud computing may have employees who are unfamiliar and reluctant to learn the new skills and knowledge about this technology. To accommodate for the lack of training, businesses may have to hire new employees who are well versed with cloud technology and cloud computing documentation. As for security, data stored in the cloud is encrypted, making it as secure as possible, however cybercriminals are using the same advanced technology to steal valuable data which means there is always the threat of cyberattacks.
What are the types of cloud computing?
- Public Cloud: The general public has access to use applications and other computing services through the internet by a third-party provider. Amazon Web Services is an example of a public cloud.
- Private Cloud: A cloud service that is used exclusively in an organization. Only individuals with authorization to this private network can access, use, and store data.
- Hybrid Cloud: This type of cloud is a combination of both public and private cloud methods.
What are the types of cloud service?
There are three models of cloud service.
- IaaS- (Infrastructure as a Service) – is a cloud service that allows companies access to a variety of infrastructures such as servers, data storage, firewalls, virtual machines, network resources, operating systems, and more. Companies can customize these infrastructures immediately when developing specialized applications without the hassle of setting up cloud hardware first. IaaS is used over the internet and has a pay-as-you-go model.
- PaaS- (Platform as a Service) – often used by software developers, PaaS are tools to help simplify the creation and development process of software and web-based applications. With the use of PaaS, businesses can build applications for multiple platforms with ease.
- SaaS- (Software as a Service) – a cloud service that allows users to access the web-based application over the internet on a subscription basis. This type of cloud service is the most familiar of the three. Google apps are part of SaaS.
What are some cloud computing service providers?
There are many emerging cloud services available. Here are a few of the most popular cloud computing service providers today:
- Alibaba Cloud
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Google Cloud
- IBM Cloud
- Microsoft Azure
- Rackspace Cloud
What is a cloud strategy?
A cloud strategy is a detailed plan that outlines your business objectives to transfer your operations to the cloud successfully. This should include choosing the right cloud model (public, private, hybrid) that best suits your business needs, along with what data you will migrate first and if it coincides with your existing strategies. Depending on your business this guideline may include but is not limited to financial options, employee development, maintenance plan, implementation timeframe, security governance, and more.
Cloud technology has revolutionized how we do business. As this technology continues to evolve, so should your cloud knowledge. No matter what stage you are in your cloud transformation, asking the right questions will be the key to navigating what works for your business operation.
How can EDC help?
Whether you are a small business or a large corporation, EDC can help optimize the development of your staff by designing a cloud strategy that aligns with your company’s objective. For those who are migrating their business to the cloud or have fully adopted cloud computing into their business, EDC has a professional technical writers trained in cloud computing documentation who can assess weaknesses and recommend cloud solutions to improve daily operations and increase overall productivity.
Whether you need a team of consultants to produce a complete line of documentation or a single technical writer for a brief project, Essential Data’s Engagement Manager will lead the project from start to finish. At Essential Data Corporation, the quality of our work is guaranteed. Contact us today to get started. (800) 221-0093 or email@example.com
Written by Kimberly Jones